Update: The workshop has ended. If you are interested in attending this workshop, kindly join the waitlist. We will inform you once it is available. Thank you.
As the sun sets and the natural light dims, photographers often face the dilemma of capturing compelling portraits without sacrificing the mood or details. In this workshop, you will learn the art of harnessing available light sources, such as ambient city lights, or carefully placed artificial lighting, to create evocative and visually striking portraits.
Topics covered include:
Understanding Low Light -Dive into the principles of low light photography, exploring how to work with limited light sources while maintaining the integrity of your subject.
- Location Spotting - Find intrigue in everyday surroundings, turning ordinary places into extraordinary narratives.
- Utilising Light Sources - Discover the various light sources at your disposal, from streetlight and shops lights to craft captivating portraits.
- Creating Mood and Atmosphere - Explore techniques to infuse emotion and atmosphere into your portraits, turning low light settings into a canvas for evocative storytelling.
- Mastering Exposure - Learn how to adjust your camera settings to achieve the perfect balance between light, shadow, and subject, ensuring your portraits retain depth and character.
- Posing and Communication - Develop the skills to guide and communicate with your subjects, ensuring their personality shines through even in the subdued light.
At the end of the workshop, you would be able to confidently handle photoshoots in different environmental conditions.
This workshop is open to anyone who is interested in portraiture photography in low light conditions and have a basic understanding of composition and exposure triangle.
For those who would like to learn more about the exposure triangle, you are encouraged to attend the Fundamentals Workshop prior to signing up for this workshop.
Please ensure that you have selected the date prior to checkout.
- All cameras are welcome and there will be a limited selection of Leica cameras and lenses available for attendees to use.
- No cancellation or refund upon sign up.
Mathias Heng (@mathiasheng)
Mathias Heng is an international photojournalist who spends much of his time on assignments and conducting photography workshops.
Much of his work is emotionally charged; focusing on the documentary narrative of conflicts, natural disaster, poverty, social issues and its effects on the civilian population. He captures the turning points of human history and always approaches his subjects with respect and dignity.
His work appears internationally in a range of publications for both NGOs and editorial organisations throughout Asia and Europe. He is also a sought after workshop instructor and speaker who inspires his participants through his works and actions.
Despite his exposure to many atrocities, Mathias has never lost his passion and commitment to humanity; he continues to capture images which speak to people around the globe.