Join us for an immersive Thaipusam Street Photography Photo Walk!
Thaipusam is a Hindu festival primarily observed by the Tamil community, particularly in Tamil Nadu, India, and among the Tamil diaspora. Dedicated to Lord Murugan, it occurs on the full moon day in the Tamil month of Thai, usually in January or February. One of the distinctive features of Thaipusam is its intense rituals, devotees, known as "kavadi bearers," carry ornate and elaborate structures kavadis which are adorned with flowers and peacock feathers as symbols of devotion. The procession to the temple is accompanied by energetic music, chanting, and dancing, creating a vibrant and lively atmosphere. Many participants may undergo physical mortification, like body piercing, as a demonstration of their dedication.
Thaipusam is celebrated not only in India but also in countries with a significant Tamil population, including Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and Mauritius. This photo walk workshop aims to provide participants with the opportunity to capture the essence of Thaipusam through their lenses:
Introduction to Thaipusam- An overview and significance of the festival
- Delve into the rich cultural and historical background of Thaipusam
- Discuss the visual charm of Thaipusam, unravelling the unique elements that make it a visually stunning and photogenic event
Photography Essentials- Pointers on capturing vibrant colours, intricate details, and emotions
- Guidance on leveraging natural light and shadows to enhance compositions
- Breakdown of camera settings to tailor for various situations
Cultural Sensitivity and Respect- Discussion highlighting the significance of respecting religious and cultural practices.
- Guidance on obtaining permission before capturing close-up shots of participants.
- Encourage participants to engage with the community in a respectful manner
Photo Walk Through Thaipusam Procession- Embark on an adventurous exploration of the Thaipusam procession, led by our seasoned workshop guide.
- Seize opportunities to capture candid moments, rituals, and the vibrant atmosphere.
- Workshop leader will be available to offer on-the-spot guidance and answer any questions.
Review and Feedback Session
- Concluding the walk participants will have the opportunity to share and review their captured images, creating a comprehensive and enriching photography experience.
Date & Time:
25 January 2024
Farrer Park MRT Control Station
Kindly arrive at the location by 7.15am
Things to note:
- Participants would require to bring their own cameras—any type is welcomed. For those without personal cameras, Leica Camera Singapore provides loan options, although availability is limited.
- Comfortable clothing and footwear suitable for walking.
- Notebooks or electronic devices for taking notes.
This Thaipusam photo walk workshop aims to not only capture stunning visuals but also foster cultural understanding and appreciation. Participants will have the unique opportunity to document the rich traditions and expressions of faith during this significant festival. Don't miss out on this enriching and visually delightful experience! Secure your spot now.